I said I would give it a year...

In January I moved back to LA after 4 years in London. I moved to the UK for a myriad of reasons.... I was burnt out on LA after 25 years here, the work was becoming sparse and the friends I had were sycophants and good time Charlies. An old friend offered me a job in Bristol, I fell in love with England and voila..4 years went by...however, you can't take the California out of the girl I guess. I missed the sun, oh Lord did I miss the sun...I missed having a car and sushi and friendly people and oh, tons of things...so one rainy, cold grey afternoon in December I had a chat with an old friend in LA and he asked me to be his partner in his entertainment company.. so once again I picked up and moved country for work. I said that I would give it a year..a year to work with him and develop projects and see what happens. Well, today we finally got one of our projects financed and we begin casting next week. The fact that it's my birthday on Sunday makes this a really special gift and perhaps a sign that I am on the right path??? It took 7 months of throwing a heck of a lot of things against the wall but one stuck! As my mom always says..."you get out what you put in" not terribly deep but if you really think about it, it makes sense. I guess my point is that things don't happen overnight the way they used to magically when I was a teenager or in my 20's..now things seem to be more of an effort, the economy has forced people to tighten their belts and not as many projects are being funded. Many of my friends are looking for money for their documentaries, films etc. and many of these are extremely viable, important projects..but they don't give up, they just keep plugging away. Today's lesson was that sometimes perseverance and hard work doesn't pay off at all..I have had ideas stolen, financing fall through days before shooting and have lost roles to people who turned out to be unprofessional or just plain bad...but sometimes...it all does pay off in a small but nice way... I hope all of  you have some "pay off" days soon..they feel really good and they make you carry that hope into the next day...after all, that's all we really are..a bunch of hopeful individuals trying to make our dreams come true. xx cc